Kropyvnytskyi or Kropyvnytsky (former Kirovohrad and Elizavetograd) is a city and administrative center of the Kirovograd region of Ukraine.
The city is standing along the upper Ingul River, where the latter is crossed by the Kremenchug-Odessa railway. It is an important railway and highway junction of Ukraine.
Population – 293,000 (2013).
The town was founded as St. Elizabeth’s fortress to defend the southern borders of the Russian Empire from Turks and Crimean Tatars in 1754. In 1775, it became a town of Elizavetgrad and developed as an agricultural center.
In 1918, an armed uprising guided by Bolsheviks took place in Elizavetgrad and the Soviet power was established in the town. It was renamed Zinovyevsk in 1924, Kirovo – in 1936, and Kirovograd – in 1939.
Today, the city retains its function as an agricultural city. In addition to food-processing industries, it has one of the most important agricultural-machinery works in Ukraine.
In 2016, it was renamed in honor of Marko Kropyvnytskyi (1840-1910), a Ukrainian writer, playwright and theater actor who lived in the city.
The climate is of moderate continental type with mild winters and warm (sometimes hot) summers. The average temperature in January is minus 5.6 degrees Celsius, in June – plus 20.2 degrees C.
The city was visited by many outstanding personalities, such as A.S. Pushkin (1824), A. Mitskevich (1825), F. List (1887), A. Fet (in the 50s of the 19th century).